Organic Ragi Idli
Prep Time: 16 hours | Cook Time: 20 mins | Total Time: 16 hours 20 minutes
- Idli Rice - 3 cups
- Whole and Skinned Urad Dal - 1 cup
- Organic sprouted Ragi Atta - 2 cups
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - for greasing
- Water - as required
How to make Ragi Idli?
Step 1 - Soaking the rice and dal
- In a bowl, take the rice and wash it with water
- In another bowl take the urad dal and wash it with water
- Soak the rice and dal in water for 6 hours
Step 2 - Grind the rice and dal
- Use a mixer grinder to gring the rice and dal seperatey
- Ensure that the batter does not stay very grainy
- A smooth batter is the best
Step 3 - Add the ragi flour
- To the rice and dal batter, add the ragi atta
- Mix well. You can use a whisker here. Ensure that no lumps are left in batter.
Step 4 - Fermenting
- It will take about 7 to 10 hours for the batter to ferment
- In hot climate conditions, the batter will get fermented in 7 hours.
- It took about 8 hours for the batter to get properly fermented in Mumbai (That is where I made this recipe)
- The batter will not rise excessively. but you will be able to see bubbles in the bater if you mix the batter with a spoon
Step 5 - Preparing the batter
- Add salt as per taste to the fermented batter.
- Mix the fermented batter using a spoon. Don't mix too much.
Step 6 - Making the Ragi Idlis
- In an Idli steamer, keep water to boil.
- Grease the idli mould with little oil
- Add 1 spoonful of ragi idli batter in the mould. Don't add too much batter else the idlis will rise and come out of the mould spoiling the shape.
- Once the water has come to a boil in the steamer, keep the batter filled moulds in the steamer.
- Keep the lid and allow the idlis to steam for 15 to 20 minutes on medium flame. Lower the flame after 10 minutes
- You can check on the idlis after 12 to 15 minutes by putting a knife through the idli.
Step 7 - Demoulding the Idli
- Once the idli is cooked properly, switch off the flame and remove the mould from the idli steamer
- Allow the mould to cool down for 5-6 minutes.
- Now use a spoon to remove the idlis.
Step 8 - Serve the Idlis
- You can serve these beautiful reddish brown Ragi Idlis with Sambhar and coconut chutney