Prep Time: 15 mins | Cook Time: 15 mins | Total Time: 30 mins
Ingredients for making Poha
- 1.5 cups thick Organic Poha
- 1.5 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- A pinch of Asafoetida
- 2-3 Green chilies - Chopped or Slit (You may have to increase or decrease the number of chillies as per their hotness)
- 1 large onion - finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon Organic Turmeric Powder
- 2 or 2.5 tablespoon Peanuts (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sugar or as required
- Salt as per taste
- Juice of half a lemon (Optional)
- Finely chopped coriander leaves
Steps to make Poha?
Step 1 - Preparing the Poha
- Wash / Rinse the poha in water
- When you rinse them in water you will notice that they become soft quite instantly.
- Set the Poha aside for 5 minutes.
- The test to check whether the Poha is ready - Press the Poha in between two fingers. It will get mashed very easily
- Add Salt, Sugar and Lemon juice to the poha and toss gently.
Step 2 - Making the Poha
- Heat oil in a kadhai
- Once hot, add the mustard seeds and let them crackle.
- Lower the flame and add Asafoetida, green chilies, curry leaves and stir for 30 seconds
- Add turmeric and chopped onions. If you like peanuts, you can add roasted peanuts at this stage. Saute the onions till they become translucent. Do not brown the onions.
- Add the poha which we have kept ready to the kadhai and stir.
- Keep a lid on the kadhai and let the Poha steam for at least 3 to 5 minutes on low flame. (Keep stirring after every 2 minutes)
- Once the poha is nicely steamed add the coriander leaves.
- While serving you can some grated coconut or sev on the poha.