Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 30 minutes | Total Time: 35 minutes
- ¾ cup moong dal
- 1 medium-size onion - finely chopped
- 1 medium-size tomato - chopped
- ½ inch ginger grated
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- ⅓ teaspoon organic turmeric powder
- 3 cups of water
- salt as per taste
- 3 tablespoon ghee
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 4 to 5 garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 or 2 slit green chilli
- a pinch of asafoetida
For Garnish (completely optional):
- Coriander leaves finely chopped
- Fried onions
Steps to make Organic Moong Dal Tadka
Making the dal:
- Add the washed moong dal in a pressure cooker along with the finely chopped onion, chopped tomato and ginger
- To the dal, add turmeric powder, red chili powder and 3 cups water
- Stir everything properly and pressure cook till the moong dal for 3 whistles. After that allow the cooker to be on low flame for 10 minutes.
- After the pressure settles down, open the lid and check if the dal is cooked and soft.
- Stir the dal. If the dal looks too thick, add some water and simmer for 1-2 minutes
- Add salt to the dal.
Making the Tadka:
- Add the ghee in a small kadhai and heat it
- add the cumin seeds, asafoetida garlic and stir. Don't brown the garlic.
- Add the green chilies and fry for 5 to 10 seconds.
- Now switch off the flame. Add the red chilly powder and garam masala and stir
- Add the tadka and garnish to the dal
- Serve hot!
This article is a property of Bodhishop.in Any unauthorized duplication, reproduction or publication is strictly prohibited. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for licensing of the above article.