Prep Time: 6 hours | Cook Time: 1 hour | Total Time: 7 hours
- 1 cup Organic yellow moong dal
- 9 to 10 tablespoon of Pure Desi Cow Ghee
- ¼ to ⅓ teaspoon green cardamom powder
- 10 to 12 Almonds - sliced
- 1 cup full-fat whole milk
- 2 cups of water
- 1 or 1.25 cups regular sugar (If you like your halwa very sweet only then use 1.25 cups of sugar)
Steps to make Organic Moong Dal Halwa
Step 1 - Preparation
- Soak the moong dal in enough water overnight. You can choose to soak it only for 4 to 5 hours as well.
- After the dal is soaked, drain it.
- Grind the moong dal to a smooth paste.
- Add 1/4th cup of water little by little.
Step 2 - Roasting the Halwa
- In a kadhai, take add the ghee. You can use non-stick cookware too.
- Once the ghee is hot, add the moong dal paste which you have made earlier.
- You must keep stirring this moong dal paste on medium flame.
- After a while, the raw smell of the moong dal paste will start going away.
- The 3 stages of the roasting of the halwa are: Pasty consistency, Lumpy consistency and then Breaking down to start releasing the ghee from the sides.
Step 3 - Preparing the sweetener
- In another kadhai, take the milk, water and sugar.
- Stir this on low/medium flame until the sugar dissolves. Allow the milk to boil.
- Step 4 - Mixing the halwa
- When the moong dal mixture becomes granular, add the sweet hot milk mixture to it. This will bubble and sizzle, so be careful.
- Keep stirring continuously until the liquid gets completely absorbed.
- The colour of the halwa becomes golden brown and ghee will also start separating from the sides.
- Now add the cardamom powder and the sliced almonds.
- Serve hot by adding some almond slices on top.
This article is a property of Bodhishop.in Any unauthorized duplication, reproduction or publication is strictly prohibited. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for licensing of the above article.