For the Rice and Dal batter
- Organic Rice - 1 cup
- Organic Yellow Moong dal - 1/2 cup
- Tuvar Dal - 1 tablespoon
- Urad Dal - 1 tablespoon
- Curd - 1/2 cup
- Baking soda - 1/4th teaspoon
- Salt to taste
For the Masala
- ginger - 1-inch
- garlic cloves - 4 medium
- 1 to 2 green chilies
For the tadka/ tempering
- Oil - 1 tablespoon
- mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
- Methi seeds - 4 to 5
- Asafoetida - 1 pinch
- Curry leaves - 6-7 chopped
- Organic Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Lauki (Bottle gourd) - 1 cup heaped
- Coriander powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander - 3 to 4 tablespoon finely chopped
- Sesame seeds - 2 to 3 teaspoons (You can increase the quantity if you like)
How to make Authentic Gujrati Handvo?
Step 1 - Soak the Dal and Rice
- In a bowl, mix the rice, moong dal, urad dal and tuvar dal.
- Wash and drain this mixture twice
- Soak in water with at least 3 times more water than the dal and rice.
- Let the rice and dal soak for 4 to 6 hours
Step 2 - Grinding the batter
- Drain water from the mixture
- Add the rice and dal in a mixer blender
- Grind this mixture. Use a little amount of water as needed
- The final consistency should be rava like
Step 3 - Fermenting the Batter
- Remove the batter in a big bowl
- Add baking soda
- Add curd
- mix well and let it rest overnight. It needs 8 to 9 hours for the batter to ferment properly.
- After 9 hours, the batter will be fermented. You will notice that there are small bubbles in the batter.
Step 4 - Prepare the handvo batter
- Crush the ginger and chilies in a mortar and pestle. You can use a mixer for this as well
- Wash the Lauki. Peel it and grate it. We need 1 heaped cup of Lauki.
- Add the Lauki and Ginger chilly to the batter
Step 5 - Season the Batter
- Add Salt, Red Chilly Powder, Turmeric and Cumin Seed powder to the batter
- Mix it together
Step 6 - Final Batter
- Add some oil and coriander leaves
- Mix all the ingredients well
Step 6 - Making the Handvo
- Heat a flat bottomed pan and spread oil in it
- Add some sesame seeds and curry leaves in the oil
- Add the handvo batter in the pan. The height of the batter in the pan must be 1 to 1.5 inch
- Use a spoon to level the batter
- Sprinkle some sesame seeds on the handvo
- Cook the handvo on low flame by covering it.
Step 7 - Flip the Handvo
- You will notice that the sides of the handvo start becoming golden. This is the stage when you have to flip the handvo.
- Add some oil from the sides of the handvo so that the other side gets crispy too
- No need to cover the pan when you cook the other side
- You will again see the sides turning gold. Once they look nice golden, your handvo is ready.
Step 8 - Cut and Serve
- Remove from the pan and serve it with coriander chutney.
- It tastes great even with Meetha Achaar or Chunda.
This article is a property of Bodhishop.in Any unauthorized duplication, reproduction or publication is strictly prohibited. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for licensing of the above article