Khapli Rava Upma | South Indian Rawa Upma Recipe
Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 20 minutes | Total Time: 25 minutes
- Khapli Rawa - 1 cup
- Desi Cow Ghee - 2 tablespoon
- Coconut Oil - 2 tablespoon
- Mustard seeds - 1/4th teaspoon
- Urad dal and chana dal - 1 tablespoon
- Asofeotida (Hing) - 1 pinch
- Dry red chilly - 1 or 2
- Curry leaves - 4 to 5
- Finely chopped Ginger - 1/4th inch
- Chopped Onion - 1 medium sized
- Chopped coriander - 1 tablespoon
- Khandsari sugar - 1 teaspoon
- Lemon juice - 1/2 tablespoon
- Salt to taste
How to make South Indian style Upma with Khapli Rava?
Step 1: Roast the Rava
- In a pan heat 1 tablespoon ghee
- Once hot, add the Rava and roast on slow to medium flame
- Set aside
Step 2: The tempering
- Heat the coconut oil in a kadhai
- Add the mustard seeds and let them crackle.
- Add the urad and chana dal and roast until slightly golden.
- Add hing fpollowed by dry red chilly, curry leaves, ginger.
- Once the seeds are golden brown, add the onions and fry until translucent.
Step 3: Cooking and steaming the rava
- Add 3 cups of water in the tadka
- Add coriander, lemon juice, salt and sugar to the water.
- Once the water comes to a boil, add the ghee roast rava and mix well.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon ghee and cover for 3-4 minutes.
- Open the lip and stir well.
- Steam for 5 minutes again.
Step 4: Serve
- While serving, add a little ghee on the top of the hot upma.
Do you make any other variation in the South Indian Upma? Let us know in the comments section below!